What's in a SASE Solution?
With networks expanding beyond the WAN edge to thin branch networks and the cloud, traditional hub and spoke infrastructure models centered around the corporate data center begin to break down. A new networking and security strategy is required that combines network and security functions with WAN capabilities to support the dynamic, secure internet access for a “work from anywhere” workforce. That strategy is Secure Access Service Edge, or SASE.
SASE extends networking and security capabilities beyond where they have typically been available, allowing users, regardless of location, to take advantage of firewall-as-a-service (FWaaS), secure web gateway (SWG), zero-trust network access (ZTNA), and a medley of other threat detection functions.
Why is SASE necessary?
Enterprise networks are increasingly reliant on cloud-based applications to run their businesses and support distributed workflows to support remote and mobile users. This has resulted in the conventional enterprise network to rapidly grow beyond the conventional network edge, challenging infrastructure leaders to secure and manage an ever-expanding attack surface. While networks have advanced rapidly enough to support the workflows of these remote endpoints, most security tools have not kept pace, rendering VPN-only solutions obsolete. For organizations to remain competitive, all endpoints must be secured and managed with the same security and networking policies as their on-premises infrastructure, regardless of where they’re located.
Benefits of SASE
When properly implemented, a SASE approach allows organizations to apply secure access no matter where their users, workloads, devices, or applications are located. This becomes a critically important advantage as more users join a remote workforce, SaaS applications see rapid adoption, and data moves rapidly among data centers, branch offices, and hybrid- and multi-cloud environments.
- Flexible, consistent security: Deliver a comprehensive range of security services, from threat prevention to NGFW policies, to any edge, ensuring zero-trust network access to know who is on your network, know what is on your network, and protect assets both on and off the network
- Reduced total cost of ownership: Conquer point product sprawl once and for all by using a single platform approach and reducing or eliminating capex and opex costs
- Reduced complexity: Simplify your architecture by consolidating key networking and security functions from disparate point products into single solutions, all easily managed from a single-pane-of-glass management system
- Optimized performance: Leveraging cloud availability, your team members easily and securely connect to the Internet, applications, and corporate resources wherever they are located.
- Consistent, enterprise-grade protection across every network edge based on the security-driven networking strategy. Delivering advanced security via cloud-based consumption, eliminating common security gaps with no impact to workflow operations.